Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, December 4, 2017

Basarabia e Romania!

La multi ani Romnia!

This week my Romanian pride went up ten fold. You know how the July 4th is super awesome and we all can't wait to party as a family on that day? Well that is the First of December for Romanians! The only problem is that it is kind of cold, so instead of a BBQ, we make a sort of baked beans and dance the hora till we can't any longer! 
Posing doing the hora... a traditional Romanian dance where you hold hands and dance in a circle.

A traditional dish - fasole_

Elder Jacobson and I spent the day speaking numai limba romana (only speaking Romanian), because we were just surrounded by so many activities that involved speaking Romanian. After a whole day of pure romaneste, your brain starts to hurt, to be honest! It was such a neat experience being in the capitol on this greatly anticipated day. We went to the military parade and saw the president of Romania, learned a lot about cool airplanes and tanks, and spent some time with our new investigator, Claudiu who we found block knocking. 
Feelin some American pride! (look behind the union jack)

Enjoying the parade!
Favorite part of the parade

It was PACKED!

One of my favorites shots from the parade.

The president of Romania was here in person! On the screen he is two from the left.

That evening, we went to a combined branch celebration where we did dance the hora and eat and watch a classic Romanian movie called "Amintiri din copilarie." Elder Jacobson and I went home bursting with love for this country, and more importantly, a greater love and understanding for the people of Romanian
Iconic
 
Sora Leavitt is a dream cook!

Ziua Romaniei feast with my friends.


We held a mini zone meeting to talk about how we can better reach the hearts of the people of Romania through understanding the Romanian culture and implementing that in the way we teach, speak Romanian, interact with members, and help others understand the importance and empowering effect of accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

1 Corinthians 9:20And unto the ROMANIANS I became as a ROMANIAN, that I might gain the ROMANIANS; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

Paul truly understood his divine call as a missionary of Jesus Christ, and that is what I am continually learning and realizing. Romanians cannot be taught an American lesson. They need to hear the gospel from their point of view! The beautiful thing is that the principles of the gospel are the same where ever you go, but the way in which people recognize that this message is for them may be a little different. That is the cool and humbling challenge that we face everyday- to teach to the Romanians! We had a lot of success as we went and tried new things, as we strove to live worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost and to serve these people with all of our hearts. 
Some of the happiest people I have met!

Our English class

Elder Jacobson has really helped me understand and apply this principle into the way I do missionary work. I am truly grateful for his example and love for the culture of Romania and each Romanian that he comes into contact with. Truly, my love and appreciation for this people is great. I admire the grit and the humility that they have. Romanians are the most giving and welcoming people I have ever met, and I truly feel connected to this culture, and feel blessed to have made so many wonderful connections with so many superb people.
Sora Gorzo. She is truly a wonderful friend who sure knows how to cook some good Romanian food!

Sora Marilena making some Christmas crafts

Dani always wants a picture with "her boys."

Now... do you remember the title of today's letter? Translated it is "Basarabia is Romania!" Basarabia was a region of Romania that was annexed from the Romanian motherland after World War 1. It is now known as the Republic of Moldova and is controlled by some pro-Russian politicians. It is also the poorest country in Europe. And the Lord has trusted me to go and serve there! 
Amazing how two years of stuff can fit two suitcases, a backpack, and a guitar case.
My summer shoes... toast! 

That is right. All of that Romanian pride is going to have to take a pause, 'cause I am headed out on a night train to live in the Republic of Moldova! I am honestly shocked and was expecting to stay in my city of Bucharest. President Hettinger felt last minute that he needed to send me and my new companion, Elder Quist, to "white wash" (meaning neither of us have ever served in this area) into the great capitol called Chisinau. When I heard this, I was shocked, but as a prayed and thought about it, a peace came into my mind and heart. I know that the Lord has a great work for me and my new companion over there! Chisinau is known as the "promised land" over here. Every says that the missionary culture is so great and that there are so many prepared people. I am really excited, yet sad to leave my people here in Romania. 
This was just the best transfer ever!

Well, I could talk more about Chisinau, but I would rather just experience it for myself and then tell ya'll about it. Elder Jacobson asked me what is the first thing I will do when I leave the apartment on Tuesday. I honestly have no clue... Pray for me!!!


1 Corinthians 9:20 And unto the MOLDOVANS I became as a MOLDOVANS, that I might gain the MOLDOVANS; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

Love you all, and hope you guys have an adventurous week like mine will be!

Love,
Elder Ditto
One last contacting hurrah with my favorite elders

A fun morning with these people


Fratele Lucian Frimu... an excellent man whom I look up to.

Fratele Paun's fiance came to visit from America. We love Daisy!

Gheorghe

Ionut

Love this guy!

Classic Vio again
Mihaiela

The Leavitt Family. I will be forever grateful for their love and influence in my life!

Sorin Cartof Mici

We made chili boats!
Luand un pranz turcesc with Vio

2 comments:

  1. God bless you in your new area! Love your letters and photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really very happy to see your post. I truly appreciate this article. Your family is very good. I always pray for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your enjoyable moment with us.

    OneDayTop has recently posted for Travel : Best winter Journeys in Al Ain, Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete