Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, January 29, 2018

A peak into Moldova and the power of serving

Note from mom: Elder Ditto had to skip writing us all a letter this week 😢 as he had to focus and pump out several essays for scholarship deadlines. I thought instead of skipping a week I might share some bits and pieces from his essays which give a glimpse into life in Moldova and his feelings on giving service. Also, I think he had a zone conference this week and so he was able to visit with his Romanian missionaries.

Took Petru out to play some billiards!

Walking down the cold and wet streets of Chisinau, Republic of Moldova is not an easy sight to take in- manholes with the arm and hammer branded on the metal, old soviet blocks (concrete apartment complexes) that are over-inhabited and under-kept, and the frequent sight of homeless people begging for one leu (10 cents in U.S. dollars) so that they might buy a loaf of bread to stay alive another day. It seems as if this country is slowly rotting away! Upon getting to know the humble people of this post-soviet country, however, I have learned that people hold onto hope that they might one day overcome their difficult circumstances, and create a better future for themselves. Throughout the world, all men, women, and families are actively seeking to have a better future. Unfortunately, money is a great deciding factor in this life, and the majority of people do not have a clue as to how to find crucial financial stability.

This journey in Moldova has animated my dream of helping people with their financial life by becoming a personal financial advisor. Attending Brigham Young University will help me achieve my educational and career goals so that I might one day be able to help my friends in Moldova become financially smart.
The Romanians of Moldova - taken at Zone Conference

Serving and being an active member of the Church in my youth ensured a continuing attitude of heartfelt service and a growing testimony during my mission. I had opportunities to serve in the bishop’s youth council, in quorum presidencies, and as the seminary president of my class. When the call came to serve in the branch presidency of a struggling Moldovan branch, I was ready to use the Christ-like attributes I had learned while serving in Church to help my brothers and sisters.
Getting ready to "Heart attack" the branch president's door for his birthday

Living overseas for two years has opened my eyes to the rich advantage of learning from other people from a variety of backgrounds. The many service opportunities I participated in while growing up and living at home are what has helped bind all of my talents and qualities together. Participating in the local community leaf rake, painting fire hydrants, creating a playground for local Hispanic immigrants, and other efforts instilled in me a love for people and for God. When my missionary hero, Elder Randy Day, passed away unexpectedly while we were serving together in a town in western Romania, I was put to the test to see if I would turn outward when everything was telling me to think about myself. I was able to breach the barrier of self-pity and help those who truly needed comfort. The service that I rendered at that time truly helped me understand the importance of taking advantage of the opportunities that we have each day to be leaders and servants.
Elder Griffeth... love this guy

Elder Jacobson - so awesome to see this guy!


2 comments:

  1. Elder Ditto, being a financial planner with the hopes of helping those who have so little to do what they can to improve, is a grand idea. I know you have the gifts to do this and pray you will be able to follow this dream. Can hardly believe it is getting close to time for you to come home. May your spirit continue to touch the lives of those hopeful souls in Romania/Moldova. You certainly touched my soul and I will forever be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Larri-Lea 100%!! I love Mondays and reading missionary emails!! We are having discussions in our home and are experiencing such joy sharing the gospel with a dear friend. Now I truly understand D&C 18:15! Her baptism date is March 17th!

    ReplyDelete