Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, September 25, 2017

A Recipe for Awesomeness

Hey fam bam!!
I love Romania!

First of all... Mom told me that she was going to be sending me a package with someone who was coming over to Romania. I was expecting a nice little box... NOT a SUITCASE!?!?! Holy shnykies!!! I honestly couldn't believe me eyes, or my muscles when I picked up that 50 pound suitcase full of joy. Elder Bontempo and I scurried on home and opened it up... let me tell you I WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT!!! Thank you, Mom, for putting that together. Watch the video and you'll believe me when I say you made two little missionary boy's lives complete. To each one of you who contributed whether it be a letter or logistics, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I don't even need Christmas (or Halloween for obvious reasons) now! 
Mike Dover, a friend of my Aunt Leah in Utah, played Santa for me delivering a 50# suitcase from home full of goodies!  He surprised me by coming to my branch for church on Sunday. (photo courtesy from Mike Dover via a text message from his wife.  Side note from Momma:  I was sitting in church yesterday when I got this picture texted to me.  I had to hold myself down from cheering as I knew the suitcase has arrived!!!)

Elder Bontempo and I picking up the suitcase from Mike Dover's hotel.  (photo courtesy from Mike Dover via a text message from his wife)


Christmas in September!!
Got a kick out of this series of letters... nice one cousins!

This week was a mighty fine one, starting off with Zone Conference. I always look forward to ZZone Conference because it is motivating, and it lets me be the moment and reflect and listen to the Spirit as to what I can do to improve as a leader and a missionary. The Hettingers focused on urgency as missionaries. We talked a lot about how we can improve ourselves in every aspect of the work. Something I admire about the Hettingers is that they are happy people. I made the connection as to why they are happy, its the same reason as to why Mom and Dad are happy. They keep the commandments and work hard! This is the recipe for happiness in life! I feel like I am pretty good at this... but I could be really, really, really, good at this! Everyday has room for improvement, and living with urgency is the secret to a successful mission, and a successful life!
A must presser... This is only made in the fall and is freshly pressed grape juice!

Asked the lady how they wash their grapes... the rain of course!

So the fun didn't stop there... the very next day we had exchanges with the missionaries serving in Craiova! This time they came up to the capital and I got to be with one of my best friends again- Elder Krieger! It was great to be with him again and reflect on life and how we can come closer to Christ. We decided to go look for a less-active members of the church in the morning and ended up having an incredible experience.
Bros for life!

We headed down to the metro station, Aparatorii Patriei, to find a member. I knew the general area as to where we needed to go, but it just so happened that I forgot to write down the exact address. Finding the exact block where someone lives is just as successful as finding a needle in a haystack. The blocks are MASSIVE and completely not in an organized fashion. The block that we happened to need was the biggest one I had ever seen in my life. We asked around to see if anyone knew this lady we were looking for and where she lives, and taught a couple of people along the way. 

Finally, the member called us and gave us the exact address but she was not home. We decided to leave a little not, and then felt like we should knock the doors around her apartment. It was Elder Krieger's first time block knocking and he was willing, but hesitant to try it. I was praying that we would have someone even open the door. Just when we were about to exit the block after many unsuccessful attempts, the spirit prompted me to knock on a the door right across from the member's.

I had skipped it on purpose the first time, but this time I felt strongly that we needed to knock it. We knocked and a little old lady hesitantly opened the door. I told her what we were doing and she wasn't interested. Then, the spirit took over.  I don't remember exactly what I said to her, but as she continued to talk she started to cry and tell us about her deceased husband and the cancer treatments that she was going through. We asked if we could say a prayer with her and she ended up letting us in. She showed us her little one-room home and told us about her little family and how life was difficult. Man, could you even imagine living alone at seventy-five year's old in a communist block with cancer and now firm knowledge of what is to happen after death? 

We read a scripture to her and a friend that came to take the older woman to her chemo appointment and closed with a prayer. The persona of this little old toothless lady had completely change. Through the power of the Holy Ghost, we had given her hope and happiness because of Jesus Christ and his gospel. We left the lady and went on our way. 

After exiting the block, we said a prayer of gratitude and then reflected on the experience. So often I overlook older people and just don't even think about talking to them because they are so set in their ways. 

2 Nephi 26:33 For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

God loves each one of us. It doesn't matter if we are 16, 43, or 75, he cares about our happiness. Jesus Christ invites EVERYONE to come unto him. Indeed, Jesus Christ is the SAVIOR of the WORLD.  Each day I understand this a little bit better. I know that I am one of his called disciples to preach the word of God, and help all come unto him. By living like the Son and following his gospel, we can have peace and happiness in every circumstance. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE4tNTMdoe4
Elder Krieger and I loving life!

The rest of the week was like this, honestly. It comprised of Elder Bontempo and I using our agency to be urgent in the work of the Lord, and God blessing us because of this. So many times I had the opportunity to teach and testify of the reality of the Savior and his restored gospel. Missionary work is hard, but joyous when we work hard and keep the commandments- living like the Savior. 
Piata Obor.. one of the biggest open markets in Bucharest!

The Mihai Bravu District
Two lambos... Had to get a pic for Coop!

I encourage everyone to be anxiously engaged in whatever good cause you are in and look for opportunities to serve and bear testimony. This is a recipe for awesomeness!

I love and miss all of you! Thank you all again, for the prayers and kind words and letters and thoughts and packages and everything! Man, we are lucky. 

Love,
Elder Ditto

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

    OneDayTop has recently posted for HEALTH : Wisdom Teeth Pain Relief Treatment

    ReplyDelete