Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, October 30, 2017

Holding up the Light... and Teaching in the Candlelight!

Hola Mi Familia!!!!

Glad that Pops got home safely, and that mom is on another adventure in Nevada. Man, we are so blessed that you can do things like that... there are so many people that I meet every day that couldn't even imagine going to Mexico and spending a week to just have fun... There are also people that I meet that go to Greece and random countries to enjoy the weekend because the tickets are dirt cheap... but that is besides the point! I feel blessed to be in the situation that I am in, and am confident that God is mindful of each one of His children. He wants all of us to experience joy. 
Elder Jacobson and Elder Ditto... Dream team!!!

Today I want to share with you my situation in Bucuresti, and the ways that I experienced joy!
Bucuresti

Elder Jacobson came in ready to make a difference here in capitol of Romania. I was super excited to learn and work with him and together accomplish more than we ever thought we could. This excitement showed in every second of this week together. We were focused, disciplined, and led by the spirit. Bucharest, being the largest city in Romania, has the most members. We have two chapels where two separate branches meet. Between these two branches, there are about ten sets of missionaries to assist in the building of the Kingdom of God. We had District Conference this Sunday, and President Hettinger shared with us his vision of Bucharest, that was established with his counselors. The vision is to have a stake here in Bucharest. As he said, this day is not far, but it is not close. This made me excited! Romania is in a very special time, and I feel it a privilege to serve in Bucharest in a crucial time. 
THREE generations. Elder Ditto (Son of Elder Giron), Elder Krieger (Son of Elder Ditto), Elder Ward (Son of Elder Krieger (who is the son of Elder Ditto)

Elder Jacobson and I felt it would be appropriate to hold some meetings with our other district leader to unite together and discuss how we can help realize this vision. We also had a Bucharest leadership meeting as well as a zone leader mission wide meeting to establish expectations and brainstorm ways to bring many to the fold! I love being organized and man this made me feel so prepared to just go out and work, knowing that we are all working for the same thing and that we have a game plan. This was the working "smart" part of the week.

We also worked. Hard. When two missionaries decide to work hard and "be all in," the two missionaries will get a long, and will accomplish great things. This is something that I have seen true in my mission. I feel blessed to serve with Elder Jacobson, who is a focused, dedicated, and humble missionary. We are just the perfect team! Elder Jacobson has come with some really creative ideas to improve our zone (like balloon contacting as a zone HUGE success), and is always ready to teach or be taught. Yep, this is gonna be a good transfer. 

Oh ya, so hard. Well, anytime that we were not in a meeting, we were visiting members, contacting, and teaching! Remember how I mentioned the poverty here in Romania? Well, we met a father the other day. His name is Viorel, and we told him that we have a message about Jesus Christ. His response was something like this... "I have seven kids and I want you to meet them and you can teach us all about Jesus."... WOAH! That doesn't happen very often... especially the whole seven kids thing. Well, we went over to their house, well it was actually more like a "coliba" (hut),  and knocked on the tin panels that acted as a big guard fence. No one answered. Right when were were about to turn away after scouting the dark, gypsy little club house-fort thing, a man came out and kindly let us in. He led us into the hut, and I couldn't believe my eyes... SEVEN KIDS.... SITTING ON A COUCH... BEHAVED.... We walked in and all of their cute little eyes were fixed on these two tall, American boys.

We quickly learned all of their names and got to know them. I remember entering the home and feeling the spirit, something that is kind of rare, especially in their circumstances. I don't know if it was their humility, or just dang good parenting, but the love of God was present in that room. We taught the family under candlelight, because they don't have electricity. As we got to Joseph Smith, we shined Elder Jacobson's flash light on the picture of the First Vision. 
First Vision

The Spirit was abundant as I recited The First Vision and together bore testimony of this miraculous experience. The children were attentive as we taught in simple words, relating the gospel to things that they could understand. Simply put, it was a miracle lesson and this family, in their humble circumstances, were ready to hear the gospel. 

Truly, the gospel is to be taught to everyone! We are all God's children!

As we walked out of the lesson, I turned to Elder Jacobson and said, "Man! I could be a missionary every second of the day!"... That's when it hit... I am! How thankful I am to experience the joy that comes from serving our fellowmen.  I know that as we do this, the heavens smile and we are serving God, who blesses us because we are holding up His light.

3 Nephi 18:24 Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up—that which ye have seen me do. Behold ye see that I have prayed unto the Father, and ye all have witnessed.

It is a special thing to shine the light of Christ with those in Romania... for this I will be forever grateful!

We shined our light as we put on a Halloween party for our friends and members here in Bucharest as well... it was LIT! WE had soooo many people come. What really warmed my heart was seeing so many children laughing and playing together, and then trick or treating!!! I have never been a huge fan of Halloween, mainly because we were all forced to put in the majority of our candy into the giant puke bowl, but showing others how to celebrate isn't too shabby!!
Halloween Party

Bogdan and Elder Ditto
Some Romanians enjoying Halloween

Sweet little Ionela Constantin

Fratele Lupan
Robert and I... craziness

The Leavitt family... the masterminds behind this party!

Love these kids!

Elder Cowser and me... notice anything spooky?

Some happy kids trick or treating

Alright, I am out!

I love you all, and have a killer week!!!!

Love,
Alex

2 comments:

  1. We will be praying for the family of seven kids. What a wonderful gift you are giving them. They sound like a wonderful family, one I would love to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kim, my prayers will include your wonderful family of seven children. I can feel your joy and exuberance about being a true disciple of our Savior. May God continue to bless and protect you ...and the generations of missionaries who will follow you. (...including your three generations!)

    ReplyDelete