Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, November 6, 2017

An International Kind of Week

Howdy all!!!

I am sitting here in this comfy chair in a internet cafe, but I can feel my lower back cringing... yup- this week was insanity!!! The Europe Area President came for a visit, I traveled to another country, presented at a conference in front of fifty somethin' missionaries, slept on a couch with my feet hanging off the end, preached the good word, and learned lots.

Iubesc Republica Moldova!

Where to even start??? Well, because President Johnson was coming down from Germany, the Hettingers decided to do a multi-zone conference. Everyone from west and central parts of Romania came to Bucharest for a day of wonderful instruction from some of the Lord's chosen servants. 
A beautiful church in the heart of Chisinau
A glimpse inside one of the nicest trams in Bucharest
A group of kids from Iasi... I took a photo of them!
Arcul de Triumf... beautiful!
Trolley Bus

Elder Jacobson and I were in charge of preparing for the conference, getting the building set up, planning a lunch for 76 people (pulled pork sandwiches, chips, coleslaw, and juice), as well as preparing our own presentation. There was a lot of stress leading up to the conference, but the conference itself went wonderfully. 
Good ol' Elder Trottier... love this guy!!
Elder Wilstead! He is back in Arad and doing great

Elder Bird is doing great in Brasov
Karaoke Night... Regina Spektor "Fidelity"

My man Elder Miller... currently serving in Constanta

Elder Krieger... Bon Jovi

Elder Ward.. Adele "Hello"
Incredible to see Elder Forsyth again... and Elder Jerome!

Elder Jacobson and my presentation were spiritually led as we talked about a new plan for working with members. President Johnson talked to us about being "high yield, low maintenance" missionaries... really incredible. Think about the correlation between these two things! I would explain in more depth but time's a tickin'! President Hettinger talked about the new standards of excellence concept that we are now implementing in our mission. He talked about his own experience of standards of excellence from his mission in France. I really admire President Hettinger and his devotion to the work. He along with Sora Hettinger are great examples to me of high love and high expectations... they are hard workers and as a result are some of the happiest people I know! Sora Hettinger talked about taking time to learn the members' stories, and Sister Johnson talked about being reverent... I really took away some great things from each of their presentations!
Elder Jacobson and Elder Ditto
Hilariously, we both have portraits of ourselves... the one time in my whole life that I will have one of these hanging from my wall! Can you even tell which one is me?

So the next day at around 6:30 pm, us and some of the other leaders in the mission caravan-ed from the Mission Office to Henri-Coanda Aeroport. I hadn't been there since when I first landed in the country! 
She's a beaut! Flew like a charm. The flight was about 40 minutes long.

By 10:45 pm we had landed in the Republic of Moldova... amazing!! I was so giddy about everything- being on an airplane (my favorite), the great sandwich that they served us, setting food in another country, seeing Cyrillic (writing system used for various alphabets across eastern Europe and north and central Asia) all over the place, and hearing the Russian accent! Man! Crazy how two next door countries can be so different! That night we stayed at an apartment of one of the elders... miraculously I slept like a baby for the remainder of the night even though I used a bed sheet as a blanket and my feet were twelve inches off the couch! haha. 
Stefan Cel Mare... Moldova's hero
In a little piata for tourists
Exploring the city of Chisinau, Moldova
Notice the addition to the flag of Moldova

Government Building

We woke up excited for our conference, again being instructed by the Hettingers and the Johnsons, but also having a council with all of the zone leaders and sister training leaders, and the assistants, about how we can improve the mission. We talked about specific needs of the mission, areas of improvement, analyzed the statistical reports of the mission, and created specific plans to help us and the other missionaries better fulfill our missionary purpose- to help other's come unto Christ! I really really enjoyed the opportunity I had to be amongst wonderful people, who share the same purpose as me! I am very thankful for the opportunity that I have had to be a zone leader and see from both a macro and micro perspective as to how missionary work goes forth!
The happiest reunion.... I love these guys!  We served together in the MTC.


Ugh, I have no time left, but I just want to say how great of a privilege it is to be a missionary in Romania... and I guess I was a missionary in Moldova now! haha 
Russian nesting dolls!! The Russian culture is very evident here in Moldova.

No matter where you are, or what part of life you are at, it is our duty and blessing to share the light of Christ with those around us! Joy really does come from forgetting about ourselves, and turning outwards. To all those who are reading this, thank you for being great examples to me in following the example of Jesus Christ. 

Let's go do this! Let's go be a little better! Let's go let our light shine in Moldova, Romania, Yakima, Jamaica... wherever we find ourselves!!!

Love,
Alex
The Best Two Years!!!

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful opportunities you had this week! Sounds like you are giving your all as a Zone leader! I love Russian nesting dolls and have one sitting on a shelf in our living room. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete