Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, November 13, 2017

The week where my joy was full...

Hey all!!!! 

This week's email is kind of a special one... for many  reasons. Right now I feel like Alma as he returned from his mission from the laminates...

Alma 26:30 And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some.
31 Now behold, we can look forth and see the fruits of our labors; and are they few? I say unto you, Nay, they are many; yea, and we can witness of their sincerity, because of their love towards their brethren and also towards us.
37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.
Can you spot the church?

Now, in my scriptures I have written in the margins, "was my joy full August 2018?" This is when I go home, but I realized that this joy doesn't have to just be at the end of my mission, but is something that I can continuously feel. Sure a lot of days are filled with "all manner of afflictions," but everyday we have opportunities to help someone come closer to Christ, even if it is just a simple act of kindness! This week, I will be honest, I could more tangibly feel the joy that comes from saving souls!
George, Vio, and Elder Ditto

The Brinaru family... they are wonderful!

Phase one of Armor of God lesson...

Mirela Minunata (I baptized her in June 2017) made an incredible step forward in her progression in the gospel. Her along with some of the other people that we have been fellow-shipping in our own branch, went to the Madrid, Spain Temple for the first time!! When I heard that she was going, I couldn't help but get giddy, knowing how far she has come, and that she has gone to the Lord in her own afflictions. 
The selfie gang back together!

Being that we live in the capitol with a sweet international airport, it was destined to cross paths with sweet Mirela. We met her in the train station to send her back off to Craiova. It was wonderful to listen to her experiences that she had, and her testimony of the temple... truly my heart was bursting with love for her and joy that she has found hope and peace through living the gospel.
Mirela Minunata

Mirela Minunata is a living testimony to me that God is mindful of every people, and he numbereth each one!
Welcoming these smecheri back to Romania after their trip to the Madrid, Spain temple.

Do you remember Vio? Ya, Vio from like June! I haven't really talked much about him recently, but we have not forgotten about him, and he surely has not forgotten about us these past five months. If you recall, he was very receptive to the gospel and quickly obtained a testimony of Joseph Smith and the restored gospel. Vio's problem was the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Tithing! Elder Bontempo and I met with Vio about once-a-week in the time that we were together, and Elder Jacobson and I have continued to do so. Vio loves soccer and would come to our soccer nights and be all-time goalie... he was definitely the best one we had! In these past five months, I have really come to love and appreciate for who Vio is. He has a big heart, always ready to help someone who is in need. I remember one night we were taking the tram home and at Vio's stop he didn't just get off, but helped a struggling mother get her stroller off the steps. He is an example to me of service without "any thought of reward." 

About two weeks ago, we had a lesson with a member and Vio, and there we again extended the invitation to be baptized. Vio was ready to say "yes." I knew he was serious this time. He had been working so hard at stopping to drink coffee and finally stopped! He had been diligently reading the scriptures everyday and coming to church. He was doing everything that the Lord had asked of him, which resulted in coming closer to the Savior and understanding the beautiful and simple promise that if we keep the commandments, we will "prosper in the land."
Botezul lui Vio!

Vio getting ready to be baptized.

This Saturday, we held the baptismal ceremony for Vio, and the next day he was given the gift of the Holy Ghost! 
The chapel getting full as the baptism ceremony neared!

Vio and I... best buddies

The chapel was filled - SEVENTY people came to support Vio's decision to take upon himself the name of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding authority, following the example the the Savior had set. The ceremony was incredible, but the highlight was hearing Vio's testimony of the restored gospel. This man is ready to embark in a life long adventure and service as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! Like Alma, I felt the joy that comes from witnessing someone make this eternally important step.

Finally, we met with the Constantin family (family with the seven children) twice this week. 
Familia Constantin... a blessing!

Both times, I could feel the special spirit that they had in their home. We taught them about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and how faith, repentance, and baptism all go together by doing a cool object lesson. Last night, we brought my guitar and had a little "hootenanny" with the kids. Well, at least Elder Jacobson and I sang as the kids listened in awe. Their favorite was "Copil al Domnului" or "I am a Child of God." They asked us to sing it again and then we had another great little lesson about baptism. They are not ready yet, but we are going to continue to help them and continue to love them! Dad reminded me how special it is to have a family to teach the gospel to.  I have really treated this opportunity with reverence and have felt the power that comes from teaching the gospel as one having authority.
A bus stop in the middle of Bucharest
Our sad attempt to do a JUMPING for JOY picture!

So, as I look back at this week, I can truly say that the fruits of my labors are not few, but many! I feel privileged to be on the Lord's errand doing his important work. Writing this email made me realize how true Alma's words are. I am grateful for the great prophets of old and new who give us direction and revelation for our days. Can I get a "hurrah for Israel!?"

Hurrah! I love you all! Smile!

All my love,

Elder Ditto

Nic and I

No comments:

Post a Comment