Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, March 12, 2018

Iubirea unei Mame

Hey all!

I don't know how the weather is in Yakima, but in Bucharest, spring has arrived! The whole week we had nothing but sun and the sound of chirping birds- a blessing because Elder Trottier and I had several projects that needed to be executed outside! 
The Team

We had a lot of fun working on our two most recent projects- a mother appreciation video for Ziua Femeilor (a day which everyone celebrates the women in their lives), and an Easter video in order to promote a big concert that we will have next month. 

For the Mother's Day one, Elder Trottier and I decided that we would use our charming personalities to ask people how their moms have helped them. Surprisingly enough, we had great success, and were able to have some great conversations about our beliefs as a result. Something that I love about the Romanian culture is the emphasis put on the role of mothers. Romanians are very pro-traditional family oriented, and it is not uncommon for the grandmother or parents to live in the same block or apartment as their posterity. I love that Romanian mothers are liberal at sharing their love towards their children, and will do anything to make sure their kids have a better life than they ever did.  Fathers are great, grandmas are the best, but there is nothing that compares to the role of the mother...
Elder Trottier

... It was past 8 pm, and Elder Trottier and I, along with the other elder companionship in our district were on our way back to the car after a great session of block knocking. I heard the phone ring, and it was Mirela! Like Mirela Minunata! She had a request to make. Her daughter, Emilia, was about to head back to England, and she wanted to surprise her by meeting her at the airport before she was to board the plane. She asked if we would be able to go with her and take part in the surprise. I hadn't seen Mirela in over four months and about that amount of time had past since there have not been missionaries in Craiova. We felt like it would be a good use of time to support her in her quest to show her love to her daughter. 

Mirela made the trek up to Bucharest early Sunday morning, in time for Sacrament meeting at Mihai Bravu. Sora Radulescu is also staying in Bucharest for a little while, and she came to church as well. What a special opportunity it was to sit by them, and to be amidst so many brothers and sisters in the gospel. God has truly blessed me with a spiritual, righteous relationship with the people whom I serve. 
Mirela Minunata... surprise-planning master!!

Right after church, we booked it to the airport, and got there in wicked time. The whole time, I could feel Mirela's excitement and anticipation to make her daughter's day. On the way, we reminisced about the great times we had in Craiova laughing and smiling all the way. I stood amazed at this woman, who eight months ago was searching for lasting happiness. 

Finally, Emilia arrived with her boyfriend and dad, but did not see us immediately- perfect! We made the best entrance ever. Emilia was ecstatic to see me, but when she saw her mom, she broke down in tears! For the next three minutes, they embraced each other with the biggest hug ever. Elder Trottier and my heart melted, seeing pure daughter-mother love take over. This image was even more priceless, knowing of the hardships and experiences that these two women have gone through. At this moment, I saw the true joy that comes from being a family. I imagined my mom and the reunion that we will have. I know that my mom loves me, and that she is proud of the work I am doing, and I saw the same thing in Mirela towards Emilia. 
The sign reads "Don't forget Coca Cola"

This little Sunday afternoon experience made me reflect on the reality that our families are blessed when we choose to live with an attitude of gratitude, when we serve one another, surprise one another, laugh with one another, and most importantly strive to follow Jesus Christ in all of our words and actions. 

What will you do to follow Mirela's example of love? What can you do to be a better brother, sister, dad, mom, grandma, uncle, or friend?

John 1510 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. 14 Ye are my friends...

I love you all! (especially you mom, thank you for your never ending love and service to me and everyone around you, you are my hero!)

Love, Elder Ditto
Vio and me

3 comments:

  1. Moms are the best! I miss mine every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so blessed to still have my mother. She is amazing!
    We took Penny to the Seattle Temple on Friday to do baptisms and she loved it, didn't want to leave. Her missionaries were able to go with us so it was a great day!
    Looks so beautiful in Bucharest! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet tribute to families in general, and to your Mom!!! She is awesome ❤ I am always in awe, also, when I see individuals who strive to make their children's lives better than their own! SO glad you got to see Mirela again, and support her in such a loving reunion. It sounds like the love she needed to convey to her daighter was very successful, with your help... how sweet!! Wishing her family the best in the future ❤

    ReplyDelete