Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, March 5, 2018

STOP THE CAR!

Good day, my fellow men!

Woo nelly, last preparation day seems like forever ago; the week really did go by fast. This week the new missionaries came into the country and Elder Trottier and I had the key logistical role ensuring that everyone was in the right place in the right time, while working on their visas, and helping all the other missionaries get to their new cities... it was kind of madness! Thankfully, we got everyone to where they needed to be and we are back in the office doing crazy stuff.
Martisor is a day to celebrate spring time! The women receive cute red bracelets or broaches from their loved ones. Romanians sure do love to spoil their mommas!

Alysee asked me what I am eating these days, and I am proud to say a variety! Lunch is usually take out (KFC, or something from the grocery store), and we also try to make rice and chicken with mango sauce if we are feeling  "healthy." For dinner Elder Trottier and I have been living the simple Romanian life, eating mamaliga cu branza de oaie si smantana (Polenta with sheep cheese and sour cream). Super cheap and super Romanian! 

I could tell a yarn about all the work that I have been doing in the office, but it's not really relatable to the reader. I will say this though- I never thought I would use all my gopro and video editing skills on my mission, but the time has come!! Our mission is trying out Facebook and Elder Trottier and I are in charge of running the page and publicity stuff. With this, we have been asked to make some in-country content. You probably already saw the soccer video, we are currently working on another one and getting ready for the Easter campaign. I have really enjoyed this and am seeing the potential of a new kind of missionary work. That is the interesting thing about being in the office- being that I am not always out on the streets, I have been discovering how to manage my time better, and find ways to make the activities that I am doing to help people come unto Christ. It's safe to say that these first two weeks have unveiled some weaknesses, but good thing that the Lord knows how to make my weaknesses become strengths! There has been loves of growing and self analyzing.
A little martisor market

Bucuresti are inima mea!

One day particular this week I was pondering about my relationship with the Holy Ghost. It had been bothering me that I am not always interacting with people and helping them come unto Christ, and I started to be worried that maybe I was doing something wrong. (Note: Really though, some days you are working so hard to help the mission run, and not enough time for regular missionary work). Elder Trottier and I made our schedule so that we would have an hour and a half to block knock at the end of the night. We didn't have too much success knocking, and as we walked back to the car, I saw a man holding an IKEA bag, walking past our car. I had the thought to talk to him, but I thought to myself that he was too far away. I hopped into the car and that was when I saw we were going to derive right past him in T-minus three seconds. 

"STOP THE CAR AND ASK HIM IF HE NEEDS HELP!" I yelled to Elder Trottier.

A half-push on the break followed by a slam on the break was all it took for him to stop the car and roll down the window and ask this man if we could help him. The man laughed and said, "What, you think I am homeless?" A little embarrassed, we replied that we are missionaries here and like to help people. He immediately liked us and told us that he too likes to help people. Without even asking, he gave us his number and told us that he would love to meet with us next week. 

WOW! We rolled the window up and just looked at each other and started laughing with joy. The spirit had whispered to my heart what I needed to do, and without hesitating, I acted. And that resulted in a miracle. I was thankful for Elder Trottier for being trusting and supportive, as sometimes that can be hard! Often times we question or doubt, but to be a first responder to the promptings of the Spirit often requires you to step out of your comfort zone. 
A fresh pic of Elder Trottier on a cold sunny day.

As we talked about this experience, I realized that I need to do as Elder Bednar says, "STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT!" 

As we live in harmony to God's commandments and do everything we can to be like the Savior in our specific circumstances, we need not worry if we are in tune to the spirit. The promptings will come, and we must act. 
Super Eastern European

It doesn't matter if you are twelve year's old, a full-time missionary, a mom, a dad, or even a grandma! The Holy Spirit will guide us, and that is awesomeness. Do everything you can to remain worthy of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost! Set little goals, have a personal self-reflection- God will inspire us with ideas as to how we can draw nearer to him.

I love all y'all! Thanks for your prayers and thank you for being examples of choosing the right!

All my love,
Elder Ditto

2 comments:

  1. Penny was baptized Saturday!! The spirit was so strong throughout the entire service. A very special day we were so blessed to be a part of. It's awesome to be a missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny is awesome! What a blessing to assist in any small way to help bring the light of Christ to a Brother or Sister.
    PS The forsythia is in bloom.

    ReplyDelete