Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, April 2, 2018

Conference in a Cottage

Buna Dimineata! 

I hope all of you feel as rejuvenated as I do after an incredible weekend of listening to General Conference. This was my last conference overseas on a mission, and it was quite a special one for me. 
Elder Vashchenko is headed back to Moldova for the last part of his mission. I really enjoyed serving around him.

On Saturday, Elder Krieger and his companion had a baptism at Panduri, so we supported the new convert, Radu in this exciting day. It was a marvelous sight seeing a young man rise up from the ways of the world and commit to following Jesus Christ. 

Following the baptism, we had an Easter concert at Mihai Bravu. FYI, Panduri is the location of the meetinghouse on the westside of Bucharest, and Mihai Bravu is the location of the meetinghouse on the eastside of the city. I attend the branch in Mihai Bravu, the same branch that I was serving in last summer. I love that branch, and it has been a great blessing to build relationships there. The location of Mihai Bravu is a lot more accessible, so that is why the concert was held there. 

I was really impressed with the missionaries who put the shin-dig all together with the little time they had. My job was to promote the concert on Facebook, as well as to put together a little sneak-preview of one of the sisters singing in the concert.

I was excited to meet people there that had heard about the concert via Facebook- missionary work 2.0! haha. The concert was incredible, thanks to the amazingly gifted singers and instrumentalists that brought the spirit into the chapel. The whole concert was focused on Jesus Christ, and I was reminded that as disciples of the Lord we are expected to share our talents that others may come closer to Him! 

Although it may have been Easter weekend over in the states, we don't celebrate till this Sunday! I think it was a good thing, because Romanians sure love there Easter traditions, including making tons of delicious food and doing spring cleaning... come to think of it- mom and dad always had us cleaning up the yard while listening to conference growing up! 

This year was special as it is the first that Romania received a LIVE broadcast in their native tongue! This was really big, as in years past, they had to wait a little to get the recorded broadcast. What a blessing it is to be in a day of technology. The first session was Saturday night after the concert (Saturday morning session in the US).

Sunday morning, we snuck in an hour of contacting in the rain before we had to be at the church for the priesthood session at 12:00 pm. I always love watching this session on my mission, because it makes me appreciate all of the times Dad and the bros and I went together. After watching another session in the afternoon, I put on the second bi-annual Scripture Chase Championship. It is basically Pictionary but guessing a reference of scripture instead. All the missionaries loved it and I had fun hearing them all relate the scriptures to their own life (that was part of the game). We had a trophy waiting for the winners along with some Ukrainian cookies and a kendama sticker. 

Sunday night was what really made the weekend, however. Elder Trottier AND I took off in our little car into a little village just outside of Bucuresti called 1 Decembrie. The Brinaru family lives over there- one of my favorite families in Bucuresti.  I was greatly anticipating this opportunity to be with a Romanian family in their home, watching the prophet and apostles speak! In the little "sat" (village) we saw some families having BBQs, and even a bunch of dude skinning a sheep! Arriving at their doorstep was kind of surreal- muzica populara (Romanian traditional music) was being played by the neighbors who were also having a BBQ, the sun was setting, and we were standing in front of a cute little cottage in a place that only a handful of people in the world know about. We felt so at home- I love the Romanian culture.

We were warmly greeted by Stefen, their twelve year old grandson and Fratele Branaru- a big classic Romanian man. Sora Branaru was in the kitchen in the middle of the process of cleaning the chickens that they had slaughtered that day yet somehow managed to serve us dinner! She prepared an incredible ciorba de gaina, homemade schnitzel, amazing bread, and tiramisu for dessert. Mmm! After some dinner table chats and lots of laughs, we plopped onto the couch, and listened to the words of God's chosen leaders of His church. 
Nicaieri nu-i ca acasa. Watching General Conference with familia Brinaru.

This is what the gospel is all about- happiness in the family because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I felt so at home because I knew this was the exact same thing my family was doing clear across the other side of the earth. No Dad had not finished butchering twenty chickens (at least I don't think...), but I can assure that mom had a TASTY breakfast for everyone! Similarly, we all have different situations, but the gospel can bless families- everywhere! 

So here I was, on the couch, enjoying being with this great family, watching conference, and conversing in the Romanian language with pleasure. Wow. What a crazy adventure up until this point! I am so grateful for the progress made and things I have learned here in Romania. I know that I was called to Romania by a prophet of God, and what a miracle it is to help build the kingdom in so many ways!

I didn't even get to the things I learned from conference, but I want to say that I know President Nelson is a prophet of God, and that following his council with bring us happiness, and protection from the ever growing bad around us.

This week my testimony that Jesus Christ is my Savior was strengthened. I know that he rose from the dead, and overcame the world that we might do so as well!

Love,


Elder Ditto

2 comments:

  1. Elder Ditto, so good to read your blogs each week. It is amazing how the church is using technology to spread the gospel. Such a perfect thing for you to be involved in - pictures and gadgets! I attended Elder Giron's (2nd) homecoming talk last week. It was WONDERFUL to see him. Your time together with him was so memorable and heartwarming for Elder Day and I. You were a great team. I am thrilled to hear about conference being broadcast live in Romania! What a tremendous blessing to the saints there. And, yes, conference as great and strengthened my testimony of our prophet, Russell M. Nelson, and our Savior, Jesus Christ. Bless you for the hard work you are doing in that special little country. See you soon (sorta)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so happy to see this latest letter from you. When your sister missionary began singing in the video, I thought for a moment it was my niece, who is serving near you and sings opera. It is amazing how the Lord can use each of us to help others. Love and prayers, Sister Greene

    ReplyDelete