Alex's Mission Address:

Elder Alex McLean Ditto

Romania/Moldova Mission
Bdul. Primaveril Nr. 19-21 Et.1 #13
Sector 1
011972 Bucharest
Romania

Email -
alex.ditto@myldsmail.net

Monday, April 9, 2018

Pastele... o singura zi care ne influenteaza pana vecii veciilor!

Hristos a inviat! Adevarat a inviat!!

Despite my western-christian heritage, this year I became like the Romanians, that I might celebrate with the Romanians! That's right, this last Sunday was the Orthodox Easter- the second biggest celebration in the year next to Christmas for this nation. 
In my traditional Romanian garb

Enchanting fountain in the middle of the city
Paste Fericit! Cu drag, Elder Ditto si Elder Trottier

Last year both of our Easters happened to fall on the same day, but not so this time around. I am always impressed to see the pride and that Romanians have regarding their traditions and heritage. The Orthodox church's holidays/dates can vary widely compared to those of the Catholics. During the course of this whole week the country as a whole prepared for the big Easter weekend, that they might all celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 
A giant painted egg... Romanians love their painted eggs!

Elder Trottier is always composed.

You ask one Romanian what they are doing for Easter and the answer is spending time with the family. My heart was happy for them because people here work incredible hours and to have two or three days off means everything to them! I think about the many friends that I have here who are doing everything that they can to support their families, that their kids or even themselves might live a little better. 
Masa de Paste

We had a beautiful Easter meal thanks to Sora Gorzo, the missionary Romanian grandma of Bucharest. She is always eager to feed us and have a good time. Sora Gorzo and I go way back to last summer, when I first met her. I am really thankful for her wisdom and selfless attitude- she not a half bad cook either! The meal consisted of the classic hard-boiled eggs, an AMAZING ciorba de vacuta (soup with calf meat), mashed potatoes and some really good veal (apparently that is the word for baby cow meat in English), followed by tiramisu for dessert. I love going to Sora Gorzo's house because it is so Romanian. Not too big, not fancy at all, but it feels like home. 
One of these weren't all the way hard-boiled

Elder Krieger... love being around him!
The Elders and Sora Gorzo

Savoring every bite

This week I was working on pondering. I just want to share a little snippet from my email to President Hettinger that I feel like captures my main thoughts for the week...

This week I was way better at pondering- something that I have been wanting to improve at for awhile now! I mainly pondered about how my relationship is with the Savior, and what I can do to improve as a disciple of Jesus Christ. The recent health issues of some of the missionaries have reminded me how fragile life is, and what really matters most. I am reminded of the words said by Pres. Monson- never let a problem to be solved become more important that a person to be loved. I think this really is portrayed best, of course, by the Savior. His whole entire life he lived in selflessness- always turning out, which in turn prepared him for the ultimate act of love, as well as impacted lives before, during and after his. For me, faith in Jesus Christ allows me to go forth with hope and peace, and takes out the feelings of doubt and fear. Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I am able to be forgiven of my sins, and help others on the path that leads to these same blessings that I have.
Piata Unirii 
Really love serving with this guy!


The Mihai Bracu District Number 2

The more I am out here the more I realize how reaching the Atonement of Jesus Christ is. Sure we are told that Jesus Christ can help us all, and that following him brings happiness and strength in the hard times, but once your faith is actually tested, and once you see and help others to discover for themselves this power- it becomes tangible; your gratitude for the Savior and for everyone that has helped you along the journey begins to grow and grow. 
Super mean salmon and tates for lunch at the Shurtleffs!

Just basking in the sun!

So Easter has come and gone, but the feelings that we have for our Redeemer must carry on through our actions the whole year! 

All my love,

Elder Ditto 
Springtime is the best!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. My son was in Bucharest for just one transfer, but he showed up in a couple pictures you posted. This blog is so informative and your son does a wonderful job sharing interesting details. I hope you don't mind that I share the couple Easter pictures.

    ReplyDelete